Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Working in Groups

After reading the article about the different types of people that are in groups, I can definitely say that I've encountered a couple of them. I think some of the categories may be a little extreme from what I have seen, but they definitely seem similar. There's definitely been the person who means well, but that really doesn't know what they are doing and the rest of the group has to end up rewriting that person's part. And of course, there always seems to be a slacker who doesn't do anything, but is still able to take some credit.
If I were to categorize myself, I'm not really sure that I would fit into one of the categories. I'm definitely not a slacker, but I don't think I'm the other extreme which is the dominant leader. I tend not to be an aggressive person by nature, so it isn't my first instinct to take the lead in a group right off the bat. However, if no one else seems to be doing anything and nothing is getting done, then I usually step up. It's kind of like when a teacher asks a question in class, and no one answers, I will raise my hand just break the awkward silence and keep the conversation going. I won't immediately assume the leadership role, but I'll jump in if necessary. I think it should be interesting to start a new group project, and so far it seems like it won't be too bad.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. Well, when it comes to stepping up in a project I'm the same, but when it comes to raising my hand to break the silence after the teacher asks a question, I'll just sit there and hope that someone else does it.

    I don't WANT to take over a group project, but if it comes down to it I will. All because I want a good grade. If I had it my way, our parts would just magically appear for each person (equally might I add) and everyone will do the work. If someone doesn't do their work, then I'll step in. It seems when we are trying to figure out who will do what in a group project, someone ends up doing the least out of everyone else and I just wish that I could slap them because I just know they don't want to do anything and they'll do as little as possible to please everyone in the group so no one will jump on them about how slack they are being. I wonder what it would be like to be in the slackers shoes. I bet life would be great without a worry in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think the personalities listed in the article we read are the extreme examples. Most people I've worked with seem to fall into the middle range of these personalities or might be classified as more than just one type.

    I also sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a slacker in a group who gets the same grade as everyone else but did none of the work. But I know that I could never be that person because guilt would kick in and I would never be able to forgive myself for making others do my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you all about the categories being extreme. I do not think the author took into consideration there are just "regular" people who may fall some where in between on that wide spectrum she illustrated. Also the person who is not aggressive but is an emergent leader such as yourself is not mention at all in the piece. I already shared my group horror story with the class. I will say that I have encountered some of the personalities mention, but I do not think I will have a problem with this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the majority of people are the way you described, just some people are more willing than others to assume the leadership role. I suppose there are definitely the people that will never assume it, and those that will grab it right off the bat - however, I think the vast majority fall into the category that you have described of only taking the reigns if no one else will.

    ReplyDelete