Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Science Blog

My major is biological sciences, so I decided to look at articles from the journal PLoS Biology. Biology is a pretty broad subject with lots of more specific disciplines within it, and this journal has articles from pretty much anything you're interested in. Hopefully this way I will be able to look a wide range of research instead of being restricted to just ecology or cell biology, for example. Also, by looking at this particular journal rather than a more specified one, I have a greater chance of finding articles that are not super difficult to summarize for people that are not in the same subject, or even for me because sometimes they can be pretty hard to grasp. Over the past semesters I've taken a wide array of biology courses, so I like that when I look at the different articles from this journal that I can recognize things I've learned in class before. I'm constantly changing my mind about which area I want to focus on in the future, and maybe by reading all the different articles I can from a better idea about which area I like the most and what type of research I would like to be involved in.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to what you are saying. My major, mechanical engineering, is a broad field of study as well. I am realizing that there are areas that I am not interested in so in choosing an article I went with one that I felt was as close to what I feel my direction is in my major. I was surprised that even though the article I chose was very technical, I understood what was being discussed.

    It can be tough at times to narrow down exactly what to do and to think about doing it the rest of your life, can make it even more tough. I wish you the best in your quest.

    ReplyDelete